Monday, October 5, 2009

Coffee Chiffon Cake







Woke up late today as am very tired as didn't get much sleep due to my two boys waiting up one after the other.. Had a quick breakfast and set out for work.. today was a very hectic and hot day for me.

Had a little urge to do something today after work but didn't have idea till i thought about trying a Coffee Chiffon Cake for tomorrow breakfast. SO far I had only try the norm of chiffon cake - orange, pandan.. so decided to give it a try.

I had seen this recipe in a few blog and decided to go for the recipe recommended and tried by e's joie. Thanks for the sharing of the recipe as I was not able to get hold of Kevin Chai's chiffon cake recipe book.. so sad..

The Cake turn out very soft and fluffy but as I had only used nescafe I guess the smell of coffee was not as fragant. I have actually triple the recipe shared as I was using a big chiffon mould of 23cm- coz got a big family.. ha ha.. so below i posted the original recipe by kevin chai and the version from my end. So depending on the size of your chiffon pan you can adjust the serving accordingly.

Coffee Chiffon Cake

Fit 7″ mouldAdapted from Kevin Chai – Chiffon Cake is done

Ingredients :
Egg Yolk Batter

1 tbsp instant coffee powder
30ml milk (original recipe call for 20ml milk)
2 egg yolks
20g caster sugar
20ml cooking oil
40g cake flour (original recipe call for self-raising flour)
1/4 tsp baking powder

Egg White Foam
3 egg whites (original recipe call for 2 egg whites)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
40g caster sugar (original recipe call for 50g, I find his recipe a little too sweet)
Method

1. Stir instant coffee powder with milk until melted. Combine with egg yolks, sugar and oil together.
2. Fold in flour and set aside.
3. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until mixture is foamy. Add in sugar gradually and beat until stiff peak.
4. Gently fold beaten egg white into egg yolk batter until blended.
5. Pour into ungreased 7″ mould and bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 mins or until cooked.
6. Invert cake to cool before removing.

The Ingredients I used for my 23cm chiffon mould...

Ingredients :

Egg Yolk Batter

2 1/2 tbsp instant coffee powder
60ml milk
6 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
60ml cooking oil
120g cake flour
3/4 tsp baking powder


Egg White Foam

6 egg whites
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
120g caster sugar


Enjoy ya! :)

2 comments:

  1. This is my first time drop in your blog, you are a great baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the compliment. Am still learning and improving my baking skills. I also visit ur blog often and see the nice cupcakes and cakes that you bake and decorated.. very inspiring.. ha ha

    ReplyDelete